[Coin-ipopt] Compiling Ipopt ( and ThirdParty) on Spark SUN Solaris

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Wed Jul 26 09:00:40 EDT 2006

Hi Benoit,

> You need the g77 compiler in GCC (http://gcc.gnu.org/) + GNU autotools
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/). Graham

You won't need the autotools to compile the code (the autotools are only
required if you change the Ipopt makefiles, and there shouldn't be any
need for that, unless you want to become a developer of Ipopt... ;).

As Graham wrote, the GNU fortran compiler g77 (or gfortran, how it is
called in the GCC 4.* versions) is free.  However, I'm not sure if you can
use the SUN C and C++ compilers to compile C/C++ code, and then link it
with Fortran code that has been compiled with g77/gfortran.  This might be
possible, but it might require some tweaking.

Alternatively, you could use the GNU C and C++ compilers (gcc and g++)
also for compiling the rest of the Ipopt code, which are also free and
work together with g77/gfortran (as long as all compilers are from the
same version of GCC).

You can specify the names of compilers in the configure command line by
setting F77=gfortran .... etc.

I hope this helps

Andreas