[Coin-ipopt] How to set up the initial values for slack variables?

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Mon Jan 9 22:28:44 EST 2006

Hi Danh,

This sounds good.  In the new (C++) version of Ipopt you no longer have to
add slack variables for inequality constriants - this is now done
internally, and the slack variables are indeed initialized the way you
describe (i.e. s0 = F(x0), where x0 is the user-given starting point -
x0=0 is often not the best choice...)

Internally, Ipopt might modify a user-provided starting point, since some
of the variable components in x0 or s0 might violate the bounds, or be too
close to them - for details, see the implementation paper.

Andreas