[Coin-ipopt] Re: GAMS interface for IPOPT

Steven Dirkse sdirkse at gams.com
Fri Oct 7 16:53:05 EDT 2005

> Hi,
>
> is there (still) a GAMS-interface for IPOPT in development?
> If so, what's its current state?
> If not so, I might try to write (a simple) one, but I don't know about the
> copyrights of the GAMS-I/O-library, i.e., whether it is allowed to make it
> freely available.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan
 >
> --
> Stefan Vigerske
> Humboldt University Berlin, Numerical Mathematics
> http://www.math.hu-berlin.de/~stefan

Stefan,

As you know, we have a GAMS/COIN-0R interface to the LP/MIP solvers
CoinGLPK and CoinCBC.  It would be great to create an interface between
GAMS and a nonlinear version of COIN but AFAIK a nonlinear COIN version
is not available.  I know people have talked and thought about it but I
don't believe it exists.  I'd most like to pursue something like this,
but at the present time that's not an option.  Please let me know if I'm
missing something here, I'd like that to be the case.

To get a better understanding of what a nonlinear solver in COIN looks
like and how we might make a link to such a solver, or to something more
general like a COIN/Open-NonLinearSolver-Interface, we've been looking
at prototypes for newer interface libraries.  One of these prototypes is
hooked up to IPOPT 3.0 to make a link that I'll describe as working but
incomplete.  Right now the focus is more on experimenting with new and
better interfaces than on developing a perfect link.

I have no plans to make this particular prototype freely available (say,
under CPL) but if you'd like to have a look at it we can discuss that
offline.

-Steve Dirkse
GAMS Development