[Coin-ipopt] Dense problem

Carl Damon Laird claird at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Nov 11 17:05:42 EST 2005

While IPOPT has been used successfully for small dense problems, I think
it will have difficulty with this one. To give a quick
back-of-the-envelope calculation (so quick that I hope I have it right):

Ignoring the contribution to the hessian (small number of vars) and the
addition of slacks (diagonal contribution because of the barrier term) we
are left estimating the number of nonzero entries in the KKT system as:

nz in KKT ~= 1e5 constraints * 1e2 variables ~= 1e7 nonzero elements.

with a fill-in factor for the factorization of 5-10 (maybe higher for
dense systems). Giving us 1e8 nonzeros in the factorized KKT system which,
for doubles, translates to ~1e9 bytes = 1e3 MB = 1GB.

So, just for storing the factorized KKT system, I guess somewhere around a
Gig. This is likely a lower bound estimate since the sparse matrix
structure is actually 3 times the number of elements, the fill-in factor
may be low and there is other memory usage to consider.

On the whole, I think IPOPT will have trouble with this class and size of
problem. You may want to consider an interior point method that inserts
the inequalities directly into the barrier term instead of using slacks.
This would give you an unconstrained problem with a small dense hessian.

Does anyone know which solvers do this? Anyone have additional comments?

Hope this helps (and don't forget to check my math :),

Carl.