[Coin-ipopt] Best ipopt options for fast QCP solution?

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Fri Mar 4 18:52:59 EST 2005

Hi Frank,

Yes, the NEOS-AMPL interface provides all required first and second
derivatives to Ipopt.

As for speeding up the execution speed, it's hard to give advice without
seeing how Ipopt behaves on the model.  If the number of iterations are
somewhat high, it might be possible to improve performance by playing with
parameters like dmu0, dfscale, iscale, imuinit (all of which are available
through AMPL).  Also, choosing a good starting point (whatever that
means...) can make a big difference).

If you want you can send me a (preferably small) instance of your problem
where you think the performances could be improved.  (I won't be able to
spend much time with it and I won't promise something comes out of this,
but maybe I see something).  If so, please send the files directly to my
email address (so that we don't spam the mailing list).

By the way, quadratic constraints can be arbitrarily difficult... :)

Cheers!

PS: Thanks for your nice words about NEOS the other day!