[Coin-ipopt] Question about time efficiency in really big problem and variable sensitive

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Fri Jun 10 10:05:21 EDT 2005

Hi,

1. I did not make any direct comparion between Ipopt and Lancelot, and I'm
not aware of anybody who has.  In an internal IBM application (circuit
tuning), we replaced Lancelot by Ipopt because it seemed more robust and
efficient.

I have solved problems (in AMPL) with Ipopt with a few million variables,
but those problems were highly structured (e.g. coming from discretization
of differential equations).  The bottleneck for Ipopt is the linear
solver.  You would simply have to try if MA27 (or whetever option you are
using) is able to handle your problem.  We are also intending to add
interfaces to other linear solvers in the new release which might give you
more choices.

512MB might not be enough to look at such large problems - maybe you need
to even go to a 64bit architecture.  As a hint, one way to make Ipopt try
to work with less memory is to use the option

DFILLINFACT

which determines by how much the memory consumption for MA27 is to be
overestimated.  The default is 5, but you might be able to get away with
2...

2. You need to use the sparse formulation.

I don't understand what you mean by

K = / 1   2   3  4  5  6  7/  or K = /1  3   6   8  10  11 15/

Those arrays

HESS(K)= / a   b   c   d   e  f   g/
IRNH(K)= / 1   2   3   4   4  5   5/
ICNH(K)= / 1   2   3   2   4  1   5/

are correct for your example matrix.  All three of those arrays have
length 7, and there are no "holes" between entries - in other words

HESS(1) = a
HESS(2) = b
HESS(3) = c
HESS(4) = d

etc

When you say you used the second option for K you maybe did it in a
different way?

3. If Lancelot can solve the problem, I suspect that also Ipopt should be
able to solve the problem.  The fact that Ipopt runs out of iterations
could be due to giving it incorrect Hessian information.  If you for
example didn't define the HESS IRNH ICNH arrays as above that could
explain it.

I hope this helps,

Andreas