[Coin-ipopt] C++ version

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Thu Jun 9 19:01:07 EDT 2005

Hi,

> I recently got the Fortran version of IPOPT and it seems to run quite well. I
> hear there is a C++ version due out soon to supercede it. I am wondering how and
> where I would obtain this. Thank you.

Carl Laird (from CMU, currently at IBM as summer intern) and I have been
working on a new implementation of Ipopt in C++.  The code is already in
the CVS repository at COIN-OR, in the project "Ipopt-devel".

We are planning to officially release it this summer (fingers crossed).
It is already working quite nicely, and has a few features the old one
doesn't have, but there are still a few things missing.  In particular,
there is basically no documentation yet.

At this point, we don't feel comfortable to recommend people to generally
use it and switch from the Fortran version.  But since the code is already
on COIN-OR's CVS repository, everybody can check it out and have a look at
it.  But if you do that, you will have to figure out on your own how to
install and use it (since we didn't get around to write the docu yet).
Also, please keep in mind that this is under development, i.e., changes
can occur frequently (even in interfaces), and if it doesn't work so well
for you yet, please don't give up on it and maybe wait until we feel that
it is ready for an official release.

Cheers