[Coin-ipopt] max constraint violation -- user parameter question

Berry, Jonathan jberry at sandia.gov
Fri Nov 5 14:02:55 EST 2004

I have a model that ipopt solves for small datasets.  For
larger datasets, however, it ends with error 10 after many
thousands of iterations.

During the course of the computation, I get messages such as
the following two examples (from the same model with different
settings to model-specific parameters).

resto_filter: It is possible that filter blocks progress.
       Decrease max allowed constraint violation from   0.323379295
        to   0.0323379295 and delete current filter.

resto_filter: It is possible that filter blocks progress.
       Decrease max allowed constraint violation from   5.47036108E+10
        to   5.47036108E+09 and delete current filter.

Do these message represent suggestions that I
change IITERBLOCKMAX and/or DWATCHTOL (or some other
parameter), or are they ipopt reports about actions it
is taking on its own?  Full disclosure:  I have the
ipopt paper, but haven't read it, so I don't know the
algorithm.

Unfortunately, I can't share the data that generates
these warnings.

-Jon Berry