[Coin-ipopt] Re: TAUCS and COIN/Ipopt

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Wed Sep 10 22:39:57 EDT 2003

Dear Sivan,

Many thanks for your message and the update on TAUCS.

We have not added an interface to TAUCS in Ipopt.  But we are still very
interested in alternative linear solvers that might be of use for Ipopt.

The sparse matrix that we need to factorize is of the form

 /  H   A \
 \ A^T  0 /

i.e. it is symmetric, but indefinite.  The requirement on the linear
solver is that is needs to be able to tell us the inertia of this system
after factorization, i.e. how many positive and negative eigenvalues the
matrix has.  The Harwell routines provide this information.

Does your solver compute the inertia during the factorization?  I had a
look at the documentation, and on the first sight it seemed to me that it
doesn't.  Is that correct?  (I assume that the option for TAUCS used in a
linear interior point method that you mention in your message does not
refer to the above system, but rather one of the form A^T D A ...?)

Unfortunately, I only know of the Harwell routines as direct linear
solvers for symmetric indefinite systems that compute the inertia.  It
would be great to be able to offer more alternatives in Ipopt, in
particular even a parallel code like yours.

Do you think this is something your code can or could do? Any comments
would be welcome.  I'm also sending this message to the mailing list in
case someone else has some ideas.

Thanks again,

Andreas