[FlopCpp] Better way of modeling a graph problem

Arman Boyacı armanboyaci at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 07:02:43 EDT 2010

Hello,

I am dealing with a multi-commodity flow problem and I am trying to solve a
relatively big instance: *800,000* variables and* 25,000 *constraints.
In order to be able to control solver options, I first write the model into
an MPS file. However it takes more than *2* hours only the model.attach()
process.

I am aware that the instance size is not small and it will take time to
solve it. But the modeling process time should be shorter, the current
situation does not make sense to me.
In the multi-commodity flow problem model, the only important set of
constraints is the flow conservation constraints:

FlowConservation(V,Z) = SUM(A, Incidence(V,A)*Flow(A,Z) ) == Demand(V,Z)