[Csdp] CVX interface

Michael C. Grant mcg at cvxr.com
Mon Oct 20 10:37:45 EDT 2014

Well, the reordering logic is necessary for two reasons. For one, CVX allows the cone variables to be in any order whatsover, while SeDuMi expects the free variables first, followed by the nonnegative, second-order cone, and then SDP variables. For another, CVX's SDP basis differs from the basis used by some solvers by an elementwise scaling.

In fact, SeDuMI's solver doesn't handle free variables, either, but its interface does. It accepts free variables as input, and internally converts them to its standard form. It also converts rotated Lorentz cones to un-rotated form, and a few other conversions as well. The user is not expected to concern himself with such matters. I find it unfortunate that CSDP requires calling external code to perform the conversion; perhaps it would be a worthwhile investment of your time to build a "wrapper" around CSDP's interface that extends its calling sequence to include free variables.

I would suggest, by the way, using CVX 3.0 beta for your shim development if you're going to do this. The shims are not back compatible, so it would be a shame for you to waste the work. And on the positive side, the shims are a lot simpler, because I've moved a lot of solver-agnostic conversion logic out of the shims themselves, so the shim can focus on handling solver-specific rearrangements.