[CppAD] Tape optimizationation and conditional expressions

Brad Bell bradbell at apl.washington.edu
Fri Mar 19 07:32:55 EDT 2010

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, Johan Åkesson wrote:

> -  From the documentation of optimize I understand that if conditional
> expressions changes, then I need to retape - is this correct?

Looking at
 	http://www.coin-or.org/CppAD/Doc/optimize.xml
it appears to me you are referring to the paragraph

Comparison Operators
Any comparison operators that are in the tape are removed by this
operation. Hence the return value of CompareChange will always be zero for
an optimized tape (even if NDEBUG is not defined).

This is warning the user about the CompareChange function and not about
conditional expressions (which are unrelated). I should be clear about
this by also adding a link to the list of comparison operators; i.e.,
 	http://www.coin-or.org/CppAD/Doc/compare.xml

In other words, conditional expression operators
 	http://www.coin-or.org/CppAD/Doc/condexp.xml
are should work correctly after the optimize procedure.

Thanks for pointing this out. I will improve the optimize documentation
accordingly.