[CppAD] ad tapeless mode

Brad Bell bradbell at seanet.com
Thu Sep 25 08:40:23 EDT 2008

In short, the answer is no. CppAD always tapes the operations and then
uses function objects to calculate derivatives in either forward or
reverse mode.

The tape only stores the operators and not the values. The values
corresponding to the operators are computed and stored by the function
object. You can use the Taylor coefficient capacity function to free
Taylor coefficient when they are no longer needed; see
    http://www.coin-or.org/CppAD/Doc/capacity_taylor.xml
Note that the constructor
    ADFun<Base> f(x, y)
calculates and stores the zero order Taylor coefficients in the function
object. On the other hand
    ADFun<Base> f;
    f.Dependent(x, y)
does not. See the heading Discussion on