[CppAD] compiling cppad under msvc 6.0

Brad Bell bradbell at seanet.com
Thu Mar 2 09:33:11 EST 2006

There were some major changes to VC++ between V6 and version V7. On the
web page
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7223w6b0(vs.80).aspx
the following sentence summarizes the importance difference:
"The compiler's conformance with the C++ standard has been significantly
enhanced for Visual C++ .NET 2003."

Up until 2005-06-06, CppAD was VC6.0 compatible. At that point (after
VC7 had been out for a few years), CppAD started to take advantage of
some of the enhancements mentioned above. See the heading 06-18 on the
web page
    http://www.coin-or.org/CppAD/Doc/whatsnew05.htm
This change was before CppAD was added to COIN, hence the versions
before change are not available from subversion at
    http://projects.coin-or.org/CppAD/browser

I do have a cvs repository that contains the versions prior to COIN and
could possibly recreate a version (with out
the changes since 05-06-06) that is VC6.0 compatible. This would take
some work.

PS.
Version [1] of the subversion repository is dated 2005-07-12, hence
there should not be many things to change from that version to get to a
VC6.0 compatible version. See the headings that fall between 06-06 and
07-12 on
        http://www.coin-or.org/CppAD/Doc/whatsnew05.htm
for changes that might not have been VC6.0 compatible.