[Couenne] Time Limit Reached Error

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Wed Mar 3 10:30:30 EST 2021

Hi Jainendra,

FYI, We are trying to move away from the use of mailing lists in favor of
the Discussions feature on Github, so it would be great if you could move
this post there and I will also move my response.

I don't know the details of the implementation of Couenne that well, but
just grepping around, there is only one place where the string "time limit
reached" appears and that is in heuristics/BonNlpHeuristic.cpp:

https://github.com/coin-or/Couenne/blob/master/src/heuristics/BonNlpHeuristic.cpp#L411

maxTime is hard-coded locally to the function with a value of 2.

https://github.com/coin-or/Couenne/blob/master/src/heuristics/BonNlpHeuristic.cpp#L108

>From the comments in the code, it doesn't appear as though reaching this
time limit is not actually what causes the code to terminate (in this
function, it only causes the function to return 0, indicating no solution
was found), but I guess with such a short-running code, you can easily
debug it and see what's really going on.

Cheers,

Ted

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 3:32 AM Jainendra Jain <jain_jainendra at iitgn.ac.in>
wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> I am running an optimization program on google colab (Optimizer/Solver is
> Couenne).
> I already tried the option of writing "time_limit 100" in couenne.opt
> file. But still my code is running for less than 2 seconds.
> Please suggest a solution for this issue.
> Thank you.
> I am getting an error as:
> "NLP Heuristic: time limit reached"

> --
> Regards,
> Jainendra Jain

Dr. Ted Ralphs
Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering
Lehigh University
(610) 628-1280
ted 'at' lehigh 'dot' edu
coral.ie.lehigh.edu/~ted