[Couenne] Unknown operator error

Pietro Belotti petr.7b6 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 07:54:54 EDT 2015

Hi Łukasz,

I get the same issue you reported, but I'm afraid it isn't fixable:
Couenne exits after finding an operator, ifnl(), that is implemented
by AMPL but not by Couenne. It is the operator that takes three inputs
(a,b,c), and outputs b if a is true and c otherwise. If you were able
to re-formulate your problem without the AMPL if operator I think
Couenne might be able to solve it.

As for factorable functions, they are functions that can be generated
by using a finite set of operators {+,-,/,*,^,log,exp,sin,cos,tan} and
by variables and constants. This includes any expression such as
x1+sin(x2)+5 log(x1^4 - x3*x6 - 4^(x1+3)) but not, for instance,
black-box functions. Your problem appears to be factorable indeed,
though that one operator makes it unsolvable in Couenne.

I'm CCing the mailing list as somebody else might be interested.

Regards,
Pietro