[Couenne] false infeasible

Pietro Belotti petr.7b6 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 20:39:31 EDT 2015

Hi Abdel,

Baron and Couenne attempt at solving the same class of problems, so if
Baron finds an optimal solution Couenne should find the same solution.
Obviously for large and/or difficult problems it isn't always possible
to find a global optimum, hence some solvers resort to heuristics. The
fact that Baron here finds a feasible solution and Couenne doesn't
might indicate that the heuristics in Baron were more successful in
finding a solution. Since CLP finds a solution with the same objective
function value, it might also mean that the feasibility tolerances are
larger than in Couenne. Try setting

feas_tolerance 1e-4

in the option file couenne.opt. This option is the tolerance for
feasibility of a solution, and it's 1e-6 in Couenne.

Pietro