[Couenne] solution output / heuristics

Pietro Belotti pbelott at clemson.edu
Thu Mar 28 23:42:50 EDT 2013

Hi Ina,

> 1) Does this mean that Couenne found a new AND better solution to the
> incumbent, or just a new solution that might not be better?

It means that Couenne found a new and better solution.

> 2) I solved some instances and the only heuristics that found solutions
> are 'Init Rounding NLP' and 'Couenne Rounding NLP'. Does Couenne only
> use these 2 heuristics?

Yes, and actually they are the same heuristic, the "Init" version being
something that is applied at the very beginning. Of course a solution can
also be found after solving the LP relaxation (whose solution sometimes
happens to be integer feasible), strong branching, etc.

A feasibility pump heuristic is available in trunk and stable/0.4, but it
is quite time consuming. You can enable it with the option

feas_pump_heuristic yes

in the couenne.opt option file.

Regards,

Pietro Belotti