[Couenne] Disable NLP heuristic at root node

Pietro Belotti pbelott at clemson.edu
Wed May 23 21:58:14 EDT 2012

Hi Manuel,

the heuristic called at the root node simply takes the NLP solution
computed at the beginning of Couenne and returns it if feasible. It does
not, by itself, run an NLP solver.

The call to the NLP solver at the beginning of Couenne is performed to
obtain a feasible (though possibly fractional) point that is used by
probing and other parts of Couenne. If you want to completely get rid of
it, you may want to edit the source in
Couenne/src/interfaces/BonCouenneInterface.cpp. Just comment out the call
to initSolve() around line 145 and recompile. Given that Couenne relies on
NLP solutions, this may actually hinder your chances of finding an optimal
solution, so use this with caution. Note that you also need to exclude
probing by adding the line

aggressive_fbbt no

to the option file.

I hope this helps. Regards,