[Couenne] Multilinear model formulations

Akshay Gupte akshayg at gatech.edu
Wed Mar 28 13:05:44 EDT 2012

Hi,

I was just wondering the following: Suppose I formulate a multilinear problem with AMPL where I replace each multilinear term with its auxiliary variable and write explicit constraints for defining these auxiliary variables. Is this likely to affect the performance of Couenne in a significant way - good or bad ?

For example, does this pre-empt any cut generation ? Is it able to detect the original multilinear constraint from the new computational graph and generate the same multi-term (if any) cuts as before ? Are the user defined auxiliary variables considered as original problem variables and hence preprocessed, bound tightened, branched upon like all other variables ?

Thanks,
Akshay.

Sent from my iPad