[Couenne] Computational Complexity of Couenne

Pietro Belotti pbelott at clemson.edu
Wed Jun 13 23:23:00 EDT 2012

Imtiaz,

mixed integer nonlinear programming (MINLP) problems, which Couenne
targets, are NP-hard. Even very special subclasses of MINLP, such as
quadratic optimization problems, are NP-hard.

Couenne is a spatial branch and bound, as you mention, and as such its
worst-case complexity is exponential in the number of variables, both
integer and continuous.

Pietro Belotti
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
Clemson University