[Couenne] Rounding NLP heuristic

Giacomo Nannicini giacomo.n at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 17:29:01 EDT 2011

Akshay,
typically what I do when I am only interested in heuristics, is to set
the maximum number of nodes to 0 (the option is: node_limit 0).
However, as far as I know the default heuristic Couenne Rounding NLP
needs candidate points discovered during Branch-and-Bound as input. If
you stop at the root node, you will not have many candidates. Try to
branch for a large enough number of nodes with a fast branching
strategy, to get many candidate points.

You should also consider using some of the other available heuristics
(FeasibilityPump and IterativeRounding). Those can do a lot of work
just at the root node.

Giacomo