[Couenne] COUENNE in matlab

Pietro Belotti pbelott at clemson.edu
Fri Feb 18 09:43:03 EST 2011

Dear Jean-Charles,

at the moment, the only modeling language interface for Couenne is the
AMPL interface. We are extending it now to accept other formats by using
the Optimization Services package in COIN-OR
(https://projects.coin-or.org/OS), but it will take some time. I am not
sure how to do it in Matlab, but here's one possible way: Couenne accepts
.nl files that are written by AMPL: if, from AMPL, you give the commands

model mymodel.mod;
data mydata.dat;
write gmyfile;

AMPL will create a file myfile.nl (without the "g") on which you can run
"couenne myfile.nl" and solve it. Couenne then produces a file myfile.sol
which contains the optimal solution, and which is once again in an AMPL
format, but you can just read the last n lines of the file (n is the
number of variables) as they usually contain the solution to your problem.
If you are able to write a .nl file from Matlab (see
http://www.ampl.com/hooking.html), which is not trivial. You should then
be able then to run Couenne as a shell script from Matlab and read the
.sol file. I have to say I never tried this as I'm not a Matlab user. If
you try this, let me know if you have any success.

Also, I would highly appreciate if you could direct all your questions to
the Couenne mailing list (in CC).

Regards,

Pietro Belotti
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences