[Couenne] COUENNE stop working somtimes

Pietro Belotti pbelott at clemson.edu
Wed Apr 6 17:01:59 EDT 2011

Dear Lili,

sorry for the late reply. After a short discussion with the OS people, it
seems that the problem is related to the precision used to solve the
problem. If you add the following option in the option file couenne.opt:

allowable_fraction_gap 1e-5

Couenne will stop execution after the gap is below 1e-5, or .001%. That
instance has some scaling issues and optimization in Couenne seems to go
on forever due to the very small difference between primal and dual
bounds, which however is never reduced to zero. You can set that option to
a smaller or larger number, and clearly that affects the solution you'll
get and its quality.

Hope this helps.

Pietro Belotti
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences