[Couenne] Wrong optimum

Pietro Belotti pbelott at clemson.edu
Fri Oct 22 15:33:17 EDT 2010

Dear Pedro,

in principle, Couenne should find the optimal solution with value zero.
However, sometimes Couenne does find a solution with the right value (zero
in this case), but it can't convince Cbc (the underlying branch-and-bound
algorithm) of that, and Cbc retains the wrong solution (5.44 in this case)
as the best one.

Moreover, Couenne uses 0 as a cutoff to eliminate portions of the feasible
set (through bound reduction) and terminates quickly, with Cbc,
unfortunately, outputting the wrong solution as optimal.

I have made some changes (namely, introducing a looser tolerance) to both
Couenne/trunk and Couenne/stable/0.3, and was able to compute the optimal
solution. Please let me know if you are using stable/0.2 or stable/0.1
instead. I do plan to merge those changes into the older versions too,
just not too soon.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Pietro Belotti