[Couenne] I send you an attach data file.

Pietro Belotti pbelott at clemson.edu
Wed Oct 20 11:50:47 EDT 2010

Dear Ote,

I have made one change to the model, specifically to constraint 14.
I have replaced the constraint

subject to constrian14 {s in S, k in K, m in M :k=m}: PU[m,s] = U[k,s]/ZU[k] ;

with the constraint

subject to constrian14 {s in S, k in K, m in M :k=m}: ZU[k] * PU[m,s] = U[k,s];

as otherwise AMPL would complain about a division 0/0 --- in fact both U
and ZU admit 0 in their bound intervals.

Below is the output I get from Couenne stable/0.3 (which seems the version
you have as well). Notice that the model is huge with 60000 constraints,
however most of those constraints are copies of one another, which allows
Couenne to reduce the model size dramatically. Is this really the model
you intended? The model seems feasible and Couenne finds an optimal
solution in a matter of seconds. The solution has many of the 281
variables at zero, the only nonzeros being

x_10 = 0.0333333
x_33 = 1
x_35 = 2
x_36 = 5
x_39 = 10
x_176 = 1000
x_179 = 2000
x_182 = 5000
x_185 = 10000
x_186 = 1
x_187 = 1

I am attaching a zipped version of the .nl file containing the instance.
You should be able to test it yourself with Couenne (without AMPL), but I
advise you to check the AMPL model carefully as the constraint
redundancies suggest me that something may be wrong.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Exception of type: TOO_FEW_DOF in file
"../../../../Ipopt/src/Interfaces/IpIpoptApplication.cpp" at line 788:
  Exception message: status != TOO_FEW_DEGREES_OF_FREEDOM evaluated false: Too few degrees of freedom (rethrown)!
TODO: No statistics available from Ipopt in Bonmin::IpoptSolver::IterationCount
TODO: No statistics available from Ipopt in Bonmin::IpoptSolver::CPUTime
[...]
Cbc0031I 2 added rows had average density of 3
Cbc0013I At root node, 2 cuts changed objective from 30 to 30 in 2 passes
Cbc0014I Cut generator 0 (Couenne convexifier cuts) - 0 row cuts average 0.0 elements, 73 column cuts (73 active)
Cbc0014I Cut generator 1 (Couenne disjunctive cuts) - 4 row cuts average 3.0 elements, 2 column cuts (4 active)
Cbc0010I After 0 nodes, 0 on tree, 1e+50 best solution, best possible 2030 (0.34 seconds)
[...]
Cbc3008W Strong branching is fixing too many variables, too expensively!
Exception of type: TOO_FEW_DOF in file "../../../../Ipopt/src/Interfaces/IpIpoptApplication.cpp" at line 788:
  Exception message: status != TOO_FEW_DEGREES_OF_FREEDOM evaluated false: Too few degrees of freedom (rethrown)!
TODO: No statistics available from Ipopt in Bonmin::IpoptSolver::IterationCount
TODO: No statistics available from Ipopt in Bonmin::IpoptSolver::CPUTime
TODO: No statistics available from Ipopt in Bonmin::IpoptSolver::IterationCount
TODO: No statistics available from Ipopt in Bonmin::IpoptSolver::CPUTime
TODO: No statistics available from Ipopt in Bonmin::IpoptSolver::IterationCount
Cbc0004I Integer solution of 15130 found after 212 iterations and 8 nodes (6.93 seconds)
Exception of type: TOO_FEW_DOF in file "../../../../Ipopt/src/Interfaces/IpIpoptApplication.cpp" at line 788:
  Exception message: status != TOO_FEW_DEGREES_OF_FREEDOM evaluated false: Too few degrees of freedom (rethrown)!
TODO: No statistics available from Ipopt in Bonmin::IpoptSolver::IterationCount
TODO: No statistics available from Ipopt in Bonmin::IpoptSolver::CPUTime
TODO: No statistics available from Ipopt in Bonmin::IpoptSolver::IterationCount
TODO: No statistics available from Ipopt in Bonmin::IpoptSolver::CPUTime
TODO: No statistics available from Ipopt in Bonmin::IpoptSolver::IterationCount
Cbc0001I Search completed - best objective 15130, took 266 iterations and 14 nodes (9.16 seconds)
Cbc0032I Strong branching done 0 times (1499 iterations), fathomed 1 nodes and fixed 25 variables
Cbc0035I Maximum depth 4, 19 variables fixed on reduced cost
  Couenne convexifier cuts was tried 45 times and created 1414 cuts of which 28 were active after adding rounds of cuts
  Couenne disjunctive cuts was tried 45 times and created 136 cuts of which 33 were active after adding rounds of cuts

couenne: Optimal

  	"Finished"

Pietro Belotti
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences