[Couenne] How to using Couenne with CPLEX ?

Pietro Belotti pbelott at clemson.edu
Sun Oct 17 16:06:56 EDT 2010

Dear Ote,

first of all, a clarification: "linear solver" here means a solver of
systems of linear equations, not a solver of Linear Programming problems.

Ipopt is a nonlinear programming solver that is used by Couenne to find
feasible solutions of a MINLP problem. Ipopt uses a "linear solver", here
meaning a solver of systems of linear equations. Coin-OR has two of them
availble: one is MUMPS, which is the default linear solver that comes with
the binary version that you have downloaded, and another one is the HSL
library, which, I believe, is not included in the binary version.

Hence, CPLEX here is not an alternative solver for Ipopt. What Couenne
might use CPLEX for is to solve a linear relaxation, but this is a totally
different aspect of Couenne. For that purpose, Couenne (and in particular
the binary version you have) has Clp, another very good linear programming
solver. If you really want to use CPLEX to solve the relaxation, I believe
you would have to download and re-compile Couenne.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Pietro Belotti
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences