[Couenne] Start Point

Pietro Belotti belotti at lehigh.edu
Sun Mar 14 14:09:08 EDT 2010

Hello Bruno,

because Couenne is a branch-and-bound, it computes lower bounds at
every node, hence an initial point does not change the optimal
solution found. This said, if you know a solution whose objective
function value is, say, 1234.5, then you can pass Couenne a cutoff
(i.e. an upper bound so that all branch-and-bound nodes with larger
lower bound will be fathomed) with the option:

art_cutoff 1234.5

It is possible to set the starting point either through AMPL or by
adding code to BonCouenneInterface.cpp, although it will only be used
for a cutoff value. I think it still makes sense to use the initial
point as a cutoff without requiring an option, so I just added some
code (for now in trunk/ only) that reads the initial point from AMPL
and, if it corresponds to a MINLP feasible solution, sets the cutoff
accordingly. Thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers,

Pietro Belotti, Lehigh University
Dept. of Industrial and Systems Engineering
200 W Packer Ave, Bethlehem PA 18015.
phone: 610-758-3865   fax: 610-758-4886
email: belotti at lehigh.edu
web:   http://www.lehigh.edu/~pib208