[Couenne] Debugging help with relation to CouenneCutGenerator::generateCuts

Pete Janes ppjanes at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 10:45:02 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I need some debugging help with Couenne. I am coding another specialized
function
for Couenne (The Two-Electron Repulsion Integral) which I plan to use for
quantum
chemistry problems.

I am getting the wrong results, and I have narrowed the problem down to cut
generation.
Here is the background. In Cbc, the main function which processes a node is
doOneNode().
This step first solves the linear programming problem associated with the
node given the
new variable bounds, then if everything is still feasible it adds more cuts
to the LP by calling
CouenneCutGenerator::generateCuts.

void CouenneCutGenerator::generateCuts (const OsiSolverInterface &si,
                    OsiCuts &cs, const CglTreeInfo info)

The problem I am having is not that my code generates the wrong cuts, but
the initial cuts inside
OsiCuts &cs are wrong. These cuts come from a prior cut generation step and
it should NOT be
included for the current step (if you can visualize an auxiliary expression
as a curve, this prior cut
cuts straight through it).

Does anyone know the likely cause of this problem? I am sure this has been
encountered before
during debugging of Couenne.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Pete