[Couenne] Couenne install : problem with make thirdParty blas

Pietro Belotti belotti at lehigh.edu
Fri Oct 23 11:57:22 EDT 2009

Hello David,

> I updated my couenne from stable 0.2 and since then, I'm able to launch
> testcouenne.nl with no segmentation fault . I just have numerous messages
> such as :
>
> IpIpoptApplication.cpp" at line 725:
>  Exception message: status != TOO_FEW_DEGREES_OF_FREEDOM evaluated false:
> Too few degrees of freedom (rethrown)!

This message is printed by Ipopt, the NLP solver used by Couenne to
find local optima of the continuous relaxation. The continuous NLP
relaxation is causing some trouble, I guess the constraints make it
difficult to find an initial solution. That should not be a big
problem for Couenne, as feasible solutions are sought in many
Branch-and-bound nodes and not only through Ipopt.

> An other message " You are using Ipopt by default with the MUMPS linear
> solver Other linear solvers might be more efficient (see Ipopt
> documentation)". I'll certainly have a look at the doc but would be Coin/Clp
> available to replace MUMPS, and if yes, would it be a benefit ?

I believe "linear solvers" here stands for "solvers of systems of
linear equations" rather than Linear Programming solvers. An
alternative to Mumps would be the HSL library, for example.

> For the blend.mod, I still have the segmentation fault, and nothing else
> even if I increase the verbose. However, I'm more interested in
> testCouenne.nl (my model) rather than blend.nl (AMPL NL sample file )

Given that I can't replicate that segfault, it would be useful if you
send me the .mod file, the AMPL version you used, and the options you
set, if any. Do you generate the .nl file on a Windows version of AMPL
and then solve it using Couenne from Linux?

Cheers,
Pietro

PS: I sent a copy of this to the Couenne mailing list. In the future,
I'd appreciate if you email all questions and comments to the list.

Pietro Belotti, Lehigh University
Dept. of Industrial & Systems Engineering
200 W Packer Ave, Bethlehem PA 18015.
phone: 610-758-3865   fax: 610-758-4886
email: belotti at lehigh.edu
web:   http://www.lehigh.edu/~pib208