[Couenne] generate .nl file from AMPL

Pietro Belotti belotti at lehigh.edu
Mon Oct 5 21:34:09 EDT 2009

Hello David,

> 1) What's the exact syntax to generate a .nl file from my myampl.mod ? I
> tried unsuccessfully "write gmyampl", "write gmyampl.nl"

"write gmyampl;" always works for me. Did you put the ";" at the end
of the command?

> 2) Does a maximization objective in the original file need to be transformed
> in a minimization one , or can Couenne read it directly in the nl file ?

Couenne reads maximization problems. However, for a maximization
problem max {f(x):x in X} Couenne reports the global minimum of the
transformed problem, i.e., min {-f(x): x in X}, without restoring the
sign. AMPL, instead, does return the value with the right sign, -min
{-f(x): x in X}.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Pietro Belotti, Lehigh University
Dept. of Industrial & Systems Engineering
200 W Packer Ave, Bethlehem PA 18015.
phone: 610-758-3865   fax: 610-758-4886
email: belotti at lehigh.edu
web:   http://www.lehigh.edu/~pib208