[Couenne] Problem Reformulation (P) and (P')

Pietro Belotti belotti at lehigh.edu
Thu Jul 9 15:38:52 EDT 2009

Dear Sismail,

the second problem has many degrees of freedom. A prototype is the
following problem:

min (x-y)^2

that admits infinitely many solutions (x,y) = (h,h) depending on the
initial point given to the solver. The NLP solver used by Couenne,
which is Ipopt, finds a point that is different depending on the
formulation of the problem.

You may try to solve the first problem and use its optimal solution as
a starting point for the second (in AMPL, by using the "default"
keyword). In that case, the two optimal solutions should be very close.

Cheers,

Pietro Belotti, Lehigh University
Dept. of Industrial & Systems Engineering
200 W Packer Ave, Bethlehem PA 18015.
phone: 610-758-3865   fax: 610-758-4886
email: belotti at lehigh.edu
web:   http://www.lehigh.edu/~pib208