[CoinBazaar] [EXTERNAL] project proposal: Branch-and-bound Analysis Kit (BAK)

Hart, William E wehart at sandia.gov
Sun Dec 11 19:41:45 EST 2011

Brady:

This looks great.  I'm probably booked up this week, but I'll try to get this setup by Friday.

--Bill

From: Brady Hunsaker <bradyhunsaker at gmail.com<mailto:bradyhunsaker at gmail.com>>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 10:02:34 -0500
To: <coinbazaar at list.coin-or.org<mailto:coinbazaar at list.coin-or.org>>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [CoinBazaar] project proposal: Branch-and-bound Analysis Kit (BAK)

Project wiki name (no spaces):
BAK

Project page title (default: same as wiki name)
Branch-and-bound Analysis Kit

Project description
Branch-and-bound Analysis Kit provides tools for visualizing and understanding the progress of branch-and-bound algorithms.  Multiple visualizations are available along with a tool for estimating time to completion.  The tools were designed for mixed-integer linear programming, but they should work on any branch-and-bound algorithm.

Categories for this project
Optimization, ?

Software language(s)
Python

Lead project developer
Brady Hunsaker
bradyhunsaker at gmail.com<mailto:bradyhunsaker at gmail.com>

License
Choice of CPL 1.0 or GPL v2 or later
(I can look at updating the CPL to the EPL.  I'll have to double-check what that entails.)

Justification:
Why is this project of interest to the operations research community?
Mainly for people using mixed-integer linear programming, this provides tools to better understand what is happening in branch-and-bound trees.  It requires certain output be available, but other than that it does not depend on the specific solver at all.

Why does this project belong in COIN-OR?
It was designed to work primarily with existing COIN-OR tools, including SYMPHONY and CBC (though it can also be used with external solvers).

Why does this project belong in Coin Bazaar? Could it be a stand-alone COIN-OR project?
It could possibly be a stand-alone project, but the overhead of that effort has prevented me from getting it more broadly available for some time.  Since it is primarily an aid to several existing COIN-OR tools, Coin Bazaar makes sense.

Does this project require read-only access? (default: no)
I'm not sure what that means in this context.  We need to be able to write changes, of course, to keep it updated.  Users need to be able to download without having write permissions.

Thank you,
Brady Hunsaker