[Coin-discuss] Question about building [Cbc, Clp, etc.] in Visual Studio

Lou Hafer lou at cs.sfu.ca
Tue Oct 19 14:00:00 EDT 2010

Michael,

-----------
>> I got the impression that the problem was not getting the names.
>> It was deciding which ones to use.
>> 'Twas the decision-making that I thought could use demangle or
>> undname. An iteration would be:
>>   get mangled_name
>>   if is_market_for(demangle(mangled_name)):
>>     export mangled_name
>
> Which is on the mark. Unfortunately, is_market_for is beyond me. The

is_market_for was more or less humor.
A more accurate name would be for_sale.
That should be a lot easier:
global and namespace functions
public and protected methods of global,
namespace, public and protected classes.

Is there a way to dig out that information?
Given what is already done, is it worth any effort?

> library, more or less by definition, is built in isolation from the
> customers. The solution I have almost certain exports more symbols than
> it should, but so far I have no good way to discriminate. My only proof
> that it exports enough is when dependent applications build
> successfully.

I'm certain that if my grasp of PE/COFF was better, I could do a better job
of interpreting the symbol information returned by dumpbin. Is it worth the
effort? I'm going to plead `My brain is full!' and hope that someone who
already understands PE/COFF is willing to contribute.

							Lou