[Coin-discuss] Announcing the Coin Bazaar project

Alpár Jüttner alpar at cs.elte.hu
Wed Mar 17 06:53:27 EDT 2010

Dear All,

I really like the idea of this Coin Bazaar project. Let me add two
comments, however.

Firstly, the name is probably not the best, because there is a
distributed version control system (DVCS) called Bazaar
(http://bazaar.canonical.com/en/), therefore many people will falsely
assume that this project is about replacing SVN to a Bazaar.

Secondly, I strongly suggest considering this kind of change in the
version management, probably for the whole COIN-OR project in the long
run. (Though it shouldn't be Bazaar, as it is clearly well behind
Mercurial and GIT, the two other players on this market.)

The LEMON project replaced SVN with Mercurial a bit more then two years
ago, and now we can tell, we gained a _lot_ from with change. Using a
distributed version control system is not only about changing SVN to
something more comfortable and more powerful, but it is a substantial
change in the whole development workflow.

The DVCSs separates the two functions of SVN's 'commit' command - i.e.
the creation of a changeset, and the exchange of these changesets
amongst the developers. Therefore it
      * demolishes the wall between the first class citizens (i.e. the
        developers who have write access to the repo therefore can do
        anything without any control) and the second class citizens
        (i.e. the ones who have no write access therefore cannot
        contribute directly).
      * allows off-line development
      * makes it possible to introduce a reviewing process before the
        changes goes to the primary repository of the project.

For more details I suggest having a quick look at these tutorials:

http://mercurial.selenic.com/quickstart/
http://hgbook.red-bean.com/read/

(These are Mercurial specific texts, but the concept of GIT is also very
similar).

Regards,
Alpar