[Coin-discuss] Cygwin on 64 bit

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Wed Jul 21 16:21:43 EDT 2010

I have successfully  built Bonmin under CYGWIN on a 64-bit Windows
machine. I don't recall having to do anything out of the ordinary to
get it to work. As far as I know, there is no 64-bit version of
CYGWIN, so if you're using the gcc that comes with CYGWIN, it's
actually 32-bit and shouldn't behave any differently than on a 32-bit
machine. Actually, there are two different packages that give you gcc.
Make sure you are using the "gcc4" package, not the "gcc" package.

If you want to produce bonified 64-bit executables, that is a
challenge. I believe there are version of gcc for Windows that will
run under CYGWIN and will produce 64-bit binaries out there if you do
some digging, but I have never succeeded in building COIN with any of
these. A better bet is to cross-compile in Linux. I had that working
at some point, but it's been a while.

If you just want to get the build working with standard CYGWIN gcc and
installing the gcc4 package doesn't work, you'll have to be more
specific about exactly how you're building the code.

Cheers,

Ted