[Coin-discuss] Want to be involved

Lou Hafer lou at cs.sfu.ca
Tue Jul 13 12:04:42 EDT 2010

Smitha,

> I am looking to spend some time helping this initiative. ... I would like
> some guidance on what need to be worked on.

	Now that's the kind of question we like to see  :-)

	There are a couple of approaches to work your way into the software, but
the first guide is `follow your interests.'

	If you've been using one of the Coin-OR codes, that's a great place to
start.  Fix something that's annoying you, or add the feature that is obviously
lacking.  Float your idea to the mailing list for the project.  Ask questions on
the mailing list if you're looking for guidance on how the code works or
standards for development.  Post some bug fixes for tickets against the project.
A steady stream of small, concrete contributions will gain credibility and
attention from the existing developers more effectively than a grand plan (we
already have lots of those :-).

	If you have no existing favourite, have a look at the projects list
(http://www.coin-or.org/projects).  The links from this page go to a brief
summary page for the project.  From the summary page you can reach the project's
home page.  For many projects, this will contain a pointer to the tickets page.
Pick one and fix it.  Or contact the project manager to see what's on their
agenda.

	Moving up to the level of Coin-OR itself, the Technical Leadership
Council maintains a to-do list at
https://projects.coin-or.org/CoinTLC/wiki/HelpWanted
We're always looking for people to keep the wheels turning and maintain the
infrastructure.

							Lou