[Coin-discuss] Rima: YAML for Lua

Geoff Leyland geoff_leyland at fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 22 00:47:16 EDT 2009

Hi,

Rima is new math modelling system and binding to CLP, CBC and lpsolve
for Lua [1], and I'm very keen to get some feedback on it.  It's very
much an alpha (or less, source only so far) project at the moment, but
it has some nice features:

  - unlike most of the bindings to procedural languages I'm aware of
(I'm happy to be corrected here), models are symbolic and functional
rather than imperative
  - Rima allows very rich interaction with data structures - dynamic
objects and duck typing for math modelling
  - models are very easily encapsulated and extended
  - there's strong and flexible separation between models and data.
All data is late bound, and functions and expressions are just data
  - there's just a sniff of a hint of a start of a system for
composing models from parts

To get an idea of what I'm on about, it's probably best to have a look
at http://www.incremental.co.nz/projects/rima/knapsack.html

On the other hand, the binding to the solvers is very simplistic: at
the moment I'm interested getting from a clean expression of a problem
to a sparse representation of the corresponding constraint matrix, but
I'd be interested to hear what solver control features you think are
high priority.

Documentation starts at http://www.incremental.co.nz/projects/
lua.html , development is hosted on google code at http://code.google.com/p/rima/
  , and you can get the tarball from http://rima.googlecode.com/files/rima-0.02.tar.gz

If there's interest, I'll start doing what's needed to submit rima to
COIN.

Cheers,
Geoff

[1] http://www.lua.org