[Coin-discuss] does CGL depend on CLP?

Laszlo Ladanyi ladanyi at us.ibm.com
Thu May 21 21:48:28 EDT 2009

On Thu, 21 May 2009, Matthew Galati wrote:

> I am trying to use CPLEX as my LP solver. Does CGL depend on CLP? if
> so - why? CGL should be completely independent of any LP solver -
> right?

Yes and no... The end result is independent. However, some cut
generators (e.g., CglLandP) depend on being able to perform low level
tableau manipulation. Those methods are not available through OSI, so
the cut generator uses an LP solver that does support these functions,
and clp is a natural choice there. Actually, even if those methods
would be available through OSI some LP solvers (like interior point)
do not support them, so CGL would have to link with clp (or some LP
solver that does support tableau methods) as a backup solution.

Granted, the code could have been written with a bunch of ifdefs, but
apparently that's not how it was done...

--Laci