[Coin-discuss] SYMPHONY speedup

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Wed Apr 29 01:34:31 EDT 2009

Yes, of course, I did not mean to imply that symmetry is a good thing
because it leads to efficient parallelization. If you know that
symmetry is present and you have an effective method of breaking it,
then by all means use it, whether or not you are using a parallel
solver. On the other hand, though there has been a lot of excellent
recent work on how to deal with symmetric integer programs, this
methodology has not been fully absorbed into solvers and we are still
some way from being able to detect and break symmetry in an
unstructured, generic MILP. It is relatively easy to generate
instances that are symmetric or "almost symmetric" and that will be
difficult even for the best of solvers when used off the shelf. In
such cases, parallelization may help.

Cheers,

Ted

--
Dr. Ted Ralphs
Associate Professor, Lehigh University (permanent)

Sent from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia