[Coin-discuss] [Coin-announce] IBM passes open-source license baton to Eclipse

Soeren Sonnenburg sonne at debian.org
Sat Apr 18 01:48:19 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 13:10 -0400, Laszlo Ladanyi wrote:
> CPL (and EPL) are not proprietary. It is open source and is approved
> by the Open Source Initiative, moreover as it's in the OSI's list of
> "Licenses that are popular and widely used or with strong
> communities". However, it is incompatible with the GPL. According to
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses
> the incompatibility arises from a "choice of law" clause (the license
> is governed b ythe laws of NY) and because it has "weak copyleft" (I'm
> not sure exactly what that is).

Copyleft denotes that whenever something got released under that license
derivative works needs to be released under the same license. To my
understanding that is the case with the GPL,LGPL,MPL,CPL,EPL. So they
all conflict (LGPL has an extra clause though that it is OK at any time
to 'upgrade' to GPL).

You probably know that M$ calls 'copyleft licenses' viral licenses.
Anyway, 'weak' potentially stands for can included in closed source
products. IMHO a bit weird to not allow going in the 'more open'
direction by conflicting with the GPL though...

Soeren.