[Coin-discuss] Trouble with C interface: glibc memory corruption error

Matthew Galati magh at lehigh.edu
Wed May 28 10:30:22 EDT 2008

> I'm working on a interface to IPOPT from the C language, but I'm running
> into a problem that I'm having trouble debugging.
>
> What happens is that I'm getting a 'glibc detected' 'memory corruption
> (fast)' error :-)
>

>> *** glibc detected *** /home/john/ascend/test.py: malloc(): memory
>> corruption (fast): 0x082b21c0 ***
>> Terminated
>>

> I added some commenting output to CreateIpoptProblem, and I found that
> the error occurs somewhere inside the Ipopt::IpoptApplication
> constructor called from within that function (IpStdCInterface.cpp line
> ~100).

That error could mean many different things.

Assuming Ipopt calls into Clp (I am not sure, never used it before) --
then, it might be related to the bug I just sent that John just fixed --
try updating Clp to trunk and see if it clears it up.

Otherwise, you'll need to run valgrind or purify to get some idea on
what is going wrong.