[Coin-discuss] Clp 1.6.0 fails to make visible progress on a large model

Sebastian Nowozin nowozin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 10:28:40 EST 2008

Hello John and the others who have helped,

I now have a good way to solve these problems quickly for my
application, using OsiMsk* and the Mosek interior point solver (who
kindly provided a student license).

Also, the random problem I posted earlier behaves very similar using
real problem data.  I put up a benchmark file of a typical real world
problem here:

   http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~nowozin/mps/class1.mps.bz2

It is smaller than the previous one (using only 400MB memory and the Clp
barrier method can solve it in 20 minutes, the simplex method in two
hours.  The optimal solution is -0.0737078.

This problem might be interesting because it clearly makes all simplex
methods go very slowly (I tested Clp, GLPK and Cplex), whereas all
barrier codes I tried (Clp, Cplex, Mosek) can solve the problem.  Cplex
and Mosek are roughly equally fast with Mosek having a slight edge (and
it can do a crossover -- which I don't need -- in around 15 minutes).
Clp's barrier solver takes around 10 times as much time but is still
faster than any simplex method I tried.  To summarize, a) for this
problem class its necessary to use the interior-point codes, and b) as
John said, there is a gap between Clp's barrier solver and the
commercial ones.

Thanks for all your help,
Sebastian