[Coin-discuss] updates on COIN-OR licencing...

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Mon Jun 9 09:26:44 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 12:41 +0000, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I was writing to licensing at fsf.org and had a few emails back and forth
> but did not get a definitive list of items where the CPL and GPLv3
> conflict. Basically they say, yes it conflicts and one reason is the
> choice of jurisdiction clause:
>
> ===snip===
> The choice of jurisdiction clause is one reason, and is sufficient to
> make it incompatible. But a thorough legal examination of the CPL would
> have to be made in order to clear other issues. Talking with people here
> at the GPL Compliance Lab, I understand that it seems that other issues
> are indeed liable to exist.
> ===snip===
>
> This makes it look like the easiest way would be to to dual license the
> project.
>
> Not sure if there was a discussion/decision at the COIN OR board
> meeting... Maybe someone more into this could give an update on this?

We have an intellectual property lawyer with a specialization in open
source working on our project acceptance criteria and other intellectual
property issues.  I expect we will discuss this issue with him as part
of that work.

We would also need to clear the dual licensing arrangement with IBM and
other contributors.  The challenges associated with that process have
been detailed in other threads on this topic on this list.

The state of the board discussion is that we'd like to have input from
our lawyer before we undertake the significant effort of getting
contributor approval for dual licensing.  We'll post updates when we
have something to report.