[Coin-discuss] [ private industry optimization project: developing MATLAB links for COIN-OR ]

Kipp Martin kipp.martin at chicagogsb.edu
Sat Aug 9 14:52:33 EDT 2008

Carlos Martínez wrote:

I am a project manager for the COIN-OR Optimization Services (OS) project.

> (1) The first and most important is the following: I have only found MATLAB
> interfaces for IPOPT and I could not find any documentation nor examples
> of work done trying to link CBC / BCP or SYMPHONY to MATLAB. Maybe
> you find it useless but in my project set-up it is simply necessary.
>
> (1.a) Is there any work done in this direction that I couldn't find?

The OS project includes a Matlab hookup to the COIN solvers including
Cbc, Ipopt, and SYMPHONY. In the m-file containing the input data you
specify the solver you want. If you look in OS/example/matlab you will
see the OSMatlabSolver.cpp that gets compiled into a MATLAB .mex file to
interface with the COIN-OR solvers and the OS library. There are example
m-files in OS/data/matlabFiles.

If you download the OS User's Manual at

http://www.coin-or.org/OS/doc/osUsersManual_1.1.pdf

starting on page 76 you will a description of our MATLAB interface. You
can even call solvers on a remote server by specifying a URL.  The
result of the optimization is displayed in the MATLAB browser.

> (1.b) I have already started developing MATLAB .mex files to interface with
> COIN-OR tools, and I would discard this work if the answer to the former
> question were "yes", but otherwise, would anyone be interested in my work
> to be included as examples in their projects? I can also write some good
> documentation about the MATLAB links I will be developing as well.
>

> (2) What would your informed opinion be about these options?
> (2.a) OSI vs OS

With the OS project you can call and interface with any Osi compliant
solver. The Osi project is included in the OS download. The OS project
also provides an interface to general nonlinear problems which Osi does
not.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

--
Kipp Martin
Visiting Professor