[Coin-discuss] COIN-OR licences again...

Soeren Sonnenburg Soeren.Sonnenburg at first.fraunhofer.de
Mon Apr 7 02:56:01 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 23:35 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 22:31 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
> > The most common concern with the GPL is the requirement that the "work
> > as a whole" be licensed under the GPL if any part is, even if that part
> > is only linked through a clean, well-defined interface.  That makes
> > creation of all kinds of interesting combinations of tools impossible to
> > distribute in ready-to-use form, as you are aware.
>
> The LGPL does not impose this restriction.  (That's the primary
> distinction between the GPL and the LGPL.)  Whether you consider that a
> Good Thing depends on your objectives and your motivation for choosing a
> particular license.  But distributing binaries linking LGPL- and
> CPL-licensed code is not a problem, AFAIK.

At least for GPL, as I understand it, the only way to to combine CPL or
other GPL incompatibly licensed libraries by adding an exception to the
license of the GPL project (which means changing the license):
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs

Soeren
--
Soeren Sonnenburg - Fraunhofer FIRST      Tel: +49 (30) 6392 1882
Kekulestr. 7, 12489 Berlin, Germany       Fax: +49 (30) 6392 1805