[Coin-discuss] Open-source Modeling Languages

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Tue Nov 20 16:46:20 EST 2007

Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Brian Borchers wrote:
>
>> First, although many normal users produce models using a modeling
>> language like AMPL, many other other users produce their problem
>> instances using conventional programming languages like C.
>
> Yup.  Some of us write programs that do things like this:
> read data
> generate problem
> while(1) {
>     solve problem
>     if done break
>     use solve output to edit problem
> }
> print result
>
> The edit problem part can be hard with modeling language.

Yes, that is my mode of use, too, but your ability to write that kind of
code doesn't go away with OS. You can still use things like OSI to call
linear solvers. OS just provides a standard interface for the back end.
Such a standard interface didn't previously exist, which made it very
difficult to think about extending OSI to support more that just linear
solvers for instance. That's part of the reason our efforts to implement
a second generation of OSI have languished. OS fills a huge void that
has been there for a long time. It can only improve the current
situation. No functionality that currently exists will go away. And once
some of the current gaps are filled, the situation will be vastly improved.

Cheers,

Ted
--
Dr. Ted Ralphs