[Coin-discuss] Open-source Modeling Languages

Sebastian Nowozin nowozin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 04:36:03 EST 2007

Hello Kipp, Jun and Huanyuan,

thanks a lot for the pointer.  I read about OS before the 1.0 release
but forgot about it somehow.  This sounds exciting.  My only fear is
that users with a big interest in modeling real life problems are
often not experienced programmers and might shy away from using XML or
something else which is perfectly reasonable from a
software-engineering-perspective.  An "easy"/natural modeling language
is a big benefit there.

That is, why I am particularly interested about the high-level
modeling language OSmL described on your page and have a number of
questions regarding it.

1. Will it be open-source?  (its listed under "products" instead of "standards")
2. How much of it is there already?  (it mentions its current research)
3. Is there a set of example models available to get used to it quickly?

Thanks for taking the time,
Sebastian