[Coin-discuss] Open-source Modeling Languages

Kipp Martin Kipp.Martin at ChicagoGSB.edu
Mon Nov 19 02:33:04 EST 2007

Hi JP:

> I've done some preliminary work on linking ASCEND to IPOPT, but still
> have a some work to do. Adding new solvers is quite straightforward in
> general, but in the case of IPOPT I am having to do some work to provide
> a sparse Hessian matrix calculation routine, and that still remains to
> be done. And volunteers are very welcome, of course!

We have a COIN-OR open source project, Optimization Services (OS),

see

http://projects.coin-or.org/OS

that is designed, among other things, to hook modeling languages to
solvers. They can be hooked using Web Services or locally on the same
machine.

We have hooked to IPOPT and numerous other solvers. We provide the
Algorithmic Differentiation through another COIN-OR project

http://projects.coin-or.org/CppAD.

Our OS library provides a sparse Hessian matrix calculation (through
CppAD). We have also hooked to other nonlinear solvers such as LINDO and
Knitro.

The bottom line is that if you could produce our OSiL (Optimization
Services Instance Language) for representing problem instances, then
hooking to Ipopt and numerous other solvers will be no problem.

OSiL is a very general XML representation for optimization instances.

See

https://www.coin-or.org/OS/publications/OSiL1.pdf

for a description of OSiL.

See http://www.optimizationservices.org/