[Coin-discuss] Multi-threaded mode for Cbc/Clp

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Fri Mar 23 16:15:26 EDT 2007

Yang,

OpenMP does not do any "automatic" parallelization. OpenMP is just a
standard set of compiler directives that tell an OpenMP-aware compiler
how to parallelize things. I don't see any OpenMP directives in Cbc
source code (they all start with "#pragma omp"), so it doesn't look like
it will run in parallel. In principle, it's not that difficult to
parallelize a tree search algorithm using OpenMP, but if you're not the
author of the code, that would probably make it significantly more
difficult. Also, the code has to be thread-safe to begin with. It didn't
take me that long to convert SYMPHONY, only adding a few dozen lines of
code.

Cheers,

Ted
--